Dentist in Keller TX Warns Against Damaging Teeth
As a dentist in Keller TX, Dr. Patel wants his patients to have the healthiest teeth possible. There are some habits and things you may be doing that are bad for your teeth and you may not even realize it. Dr. Patel has 5 habits that can be damaging your teeth. Be sure to avoid these habits as best as possible!
1. Chewing on ice: Chewing on ice can damage your teeth. Ice is hard and chewing on it can cause you to crack and damage a tooth. It can even irritate the soft tissue within a tooth. Try to chew on something such as sugar free gum that contains xylitol if you feel the need to chew on something.
2. Playing sports without a Mouthguard: Sports can get extremely violent, and accidents are more likely to happen during physical activity. A Mouthguard protects the upper row of teeth, and without one, you can crack or lose a tooth. These can be purchased at a drug store, or you can have a custom one created for you by your dentist in Keller TX.
3. Tongue and lip piercings: Tongue and lip piercings may make a fashion statement, but is it really worth the risk? These types of facial piercings can cause you to crack your tooth if you accidentally bite down on them. They can also cause irritation in your gums, and can lead to tooth loss if the metal continuously rubs against the gums.
4. Cough Drops: Even though they are sold in the medicine isle, they are not good for your teeth. They are made using a lot of sugar, so if you are going to suck on one, be sure to brush your teeth shortly after. Failure to do so gives the bacteria in your mouth something to feed on, and as a result, just like candy, you can get cavities!
5. Avoid drinking soda: Soda can have a ton of sugar in it, just as much as some candies! Some sodas have 11 teaspoons of sugar per serving. Not only that, but soda contains phosphoric and citrus acids which will wear away your enamel.
These are just some of the things that you should avoid if you desire healthy teeth. Teeth can last a lifetime if taken care of, and healthy teeth typically require less expensive dental procedures. For more tips on what to avoid in order to keep your teeth healthy, contact Esthetique Dental by calling (817) 741-1240 to schedule an appointment.